Just moved to Florida and need to get a driver’s license and your car registered? If you already have a valid license, you can probably convert it to a Florida licence without even having to take a test. That’s the simple part. You just need to make sure that you get a Real ID from Florida with your new residence listed.
You also have to register your vehicle. Some say this is a hassle, but it’s not so bad. Before registering your vehicle in Florida, make sure that its insured from a company licensed to do business in Florida. Then, bring your proof of identity, proof of Florida insurance, the original out-of-state title, and a completed form HSMV 82040 to your local tax collector’s office.
The VIN can be inspected and verified by one of the following:
- law enforcement officer
- licensed motor vehicle dealer
- Florida DMV Compliance Examiner/Inspector
- DMV or tax collector employee
- Florida notary public
- Provost Marshal
- Commissioned officer in active military service (ranked 2nd Lieutenant or higher)
Once you move to Florida, you have 30 days to register/re-title your vehicle.
THINKING OF SELLING YOUR TAMPA BAY AREA HOME?
If you’re interested in selling a Tampa Bay area home, please contact us for more information about listing your home. Check out our helpful article describing the process and how to decide if it’s the right time to sell.
ARE YOU BUYING A HOME FOR SALE IN TAMPA BAY?
If you’re thinking about buying a home in Tampa Bay, do a quick online search or check out our:
- Tampa Bay homes for sale under $100,000
- Tampa Bay homes for sale between $100,000 and $200,000
- Tampa Bay homes for sale between $200,000 and $300,000
- Tampa Bay homes for sale between $300,000 and $400,000
- Tampa Bay homes for sale between $400,000 and $500,000
- Tampa Bay homes for sale between $500,000 and $600,000
- Tampa Bay homes for sale between $600,000 and $700,000
- Tampa Bay homes for sale between $700,000 and $800,000
- Tampa Bay homes for sale between $800,000 and $900,000
Our experienced agents know the area and would love to find you the perfect home in the Tampa Bay or any of the surrounding areas. When you’re ready, call us at 813-961-6000, or contact us online. We handle real estate in Hillsborough County (the Tampa – St. Petersburg – Clearwater metropolitan area), real estate in Pasco County (Port Richey, New Port Richey, Dade City, Zephyrhills and San Antonio), and real estate in Pinellas County (Tampa – St. Petersburg metropolitan area.) We’ll help you find the right home for your needs!