If you’ve decided to sell your home in Tampa or the surrounding communities and you have pets, you may be wondering if they’ll create a potential red flag for buyers. Although Tampa is a pet-friendly place, you should remember that not everyone loves four-legged family members like you do… and that your fur-babies’ presence may be a turn-off to some buyers.
However, with a little preparation, you can get your home in tip-top shape and ready to show.
Selling Your Tampa Home With Pets
One of the biggest issues that can kill a home sale is pet odors. Make sure you’ve checked all areas of your home for pet incontinence and other unwelcome smells. Remember… we often become accustomed to the scents of our own homes, so you may have to enlist a friend’s help to get some honest feedback. Depending on the source of the smell, you may have to:
- Call in a professional carpet cleaner
- Replace carpet and padding
- Remove soiled furniture and bedding
- Clean and repaint walls where accidents may have occurred
Potential homebuyers will also be on the lookout for pet hair. Unsightly fur and dander can collect quickly and aggravate allergies. If your guests are leaving your home with piles of fur on their clothing, there are some steps you can take to minimize this.
- Vacuum flooring and furniture at least once daily
- Use a lint or tape roller on furniture
- Have heating ducts professionally cleaned
Once you have your home staged and ready, you should consider having an open house. Holding an open house can reduce the amount of private appointments you’ll need to get traffic into your home. This will also minimize the amount of time you’ll have to worry about keeping your pets out of common areas or removing them from the home during showings.
Are You Selling Your Home in Tampa or the Surrounding Communities?
Check out these links to learn about selling your home in Tampa:
- Get a FREE home valuation to find out how much your home is worth
- Learn about listing your Tampa Bay home for sale with RE/MAX
- Get a FREE local market report to check out other sales in your area
- Learn how to SELL your home FASTER than your neighbors
- Get our FREE home-selling eBook packed with amazing tips you won’t find elsewhere