FEMA reports a drastic decline of calls to emergency agencies to pump out flooded basements in the last 25 years. This is mostly thanks to sump pumps. Basements are a rarity in Florida, but they do exist. Some Florida homes with basements can be found North of Tampa in Dade City or to the East in Lakeland. Still, occasionally, you’ll find a home for sale right in Tampa with a basement.
Electric sump pumps installed in openings in basement floors remove rising ground water and send it elsewhere. Owning a sump pump offers strong insurance against major property damage. Yet, it must be working at all times. So, make sure you conduct annual maintenance when the basin is empty.
- Unplug the sump pump. Then, check the outlet once a year. You can just plug in a lamp or a radio to check.
- Make sure the pump inlet is free of debris.
- Ensure the float isn’t jammed or pushed to the side of the basin. The float actuates the switch to turn it on when needed!
- Test the sump pump by pouring water right into the basin. Use enough water to raise the float and turn on the switch.
- Clean the screen.
- Make sure the internal flap swings freely.
- Lubricate bearings as needed.
- Consider getting a battery back up.
Thinking of Selling Your Tampa Bay Area Home?
If you’re interested in selling a Tampa Bay area home, please contact us for more information about listing your home. Check out our helpful article describing the process and how to decide if it’s the right time to sell.
Are You Buying a Home for Sale in Tampa Bay?
If you’re thinking about buying a home in Tampa Bay, do a quick online search or check out our:
- Tampa Bay homes for sale under $100,000
- Tampa Bay homes for sale between $100,000 and $200,000
- Tampa Bay homes for sale between $200,000 and $300,000
- Tampa Bay homes for sale between $300,000 and $400,000
- Tampa Bay homes for sale between $400,000 and $500,000
- Tampa Bay homes for sale between $500,000 and $600,000
- Tampa Bay homes for sale between $600,000 and $700,000
- Tampa Bay homes for sale between $700,000 and $800,000
- Tampa Bay homes for sale between $800,000 and $900,000
Our experienced agents know the area and would love to find you the perfect home in the Tampa Bay or any of the surrounding areas. When you’re ready, call us at 813-961-6000, or contact us online. We handle real estate in Hillsborough County (the Tampa – St. Petersburg – Clearwater metropolitan area), real estate in Pasco County (Port Richey, New Port Richey, Dade City, Zephyrhills and San Antonio), and real estate in Pinellas County (Tampa – St. Petersburg metropolitan area.) We’ll help you find the right home for your needs!